2 Cup (16 oz) of Cooked Black Beans (Canned is ok!)
1/2 Cup of Cooked Black Rice
1/2 Red Onion
1/2 Bell Pepper
1 Fresh Jalapeno Pepper
3 Garlic Cloves
1/4 Cup of Fresh Chopped Cilantro
Grape seed or Olive Oil
1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp. Paprika
1/2 Tsp. Cumin
1/2 Tsp. Chili Powder
1 Tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
1/2 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch or Arrowroot Powder
1 Tsp. Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Finely chop red onions, bell peppers, jalapeños (remove seeds), and garlic.
- Sauté red onions, bell pepper, and jalapeños in grape seed or olive oil on medium heat; add chopped garlic cloves halfway through caramelization. Once the sautéed mixture is caramelized, take off heat and sit to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked black rice, black beans, all dry ingredients and fresh chopped cilantro. With a large spoon or spatula, stir all of the ingredients together until spices are married to bean and rice mixture.
**Remember to sample your mixture throughout the process and add seasoning to taste**
- Blend or mash one cup of your mixture and then add back to the leftover portion.
- Fold in sautéed peppers, onions, jalapeños and garlic.
- Scoop out mixture and form into patties and lay them on a cookie sheet.
(Your patties can also be frozen and saved for later)
- Place your patties in the freezer for about 30 minutes to keep their form.
- Once your patties are firm, they are ready to cook. You can grill, bake or pan fry your burgers and serve them on a bun or a lettuce wrap.